Wednesday, January 2, 2013

MoCo Consignment and Resale - Show me the Money

Lets face it.  Kids cost money.  On a limited income, I need to find ways to save money.  How you say? One way is to buy gently used or consignment, especially during my pregnancy.  You wouldn't believe some of the cheap dresses and tops I got to fit my growing belly.  Since the start of the recession, there's been quite an uptick in these stores.  I bring this up because I just passed Uptown Cheapskate on Rockville Pike this morning and googled what they were about.  Looks like they're not fully consignment but cash sale, meaning you can walk out with cash on the spot for bringing in your clothes instead of waiting until the item sells (straight consignment).


Here's a few that I've frequented:

For Hip Moms:
  • Reddz Trading - Bethesda; Cash on the spot; Side story, I found a brand new size 9 Manolos at Good Will for like $9.00 and sold it to Reddz for like $40!  Also bought a few great pieces here including a pair of  Jimmy Choo heels for $60.
  • Mustard Seed - Bethesda; Cash on the spot; Pretty darn cheap in there, cute vintage stuff.  They're pretty picky when selling stuff to them so beware.
  • My Best Friend's Closet - Rockville; Never been but pass it all the time.  Also on Groupon all the time $15 for $30.
  • Lipstick Lounge - Kentlands; Also never been but been meaning to take a look.
For Kiddos:
  • Wiggle Room - Bethesda; Upscale consignment.  Bought Abby some swim bottoms, hats, and shoes here.
  • Kid to Kid - Centreville, VA.  Franchise, cute stuff and CHEAP!
  • Greenberries - Columbia, MD.  Green consignment.  Apparently voted Best Consignment Store 2010-2012 by Maryland Family Magazine and Howard Magazine.  Looks FABULOUS, weekly classes, promotes cloth diapering, but haven't ventured out there yet to really experience it.
  • Green Jeans - Kentlands. Upscale consignment. Lots of special occasion apparel

No comments:

Post a Comment