I had the privilege of following Steven Boie of A to Z Home Inspections as he went through a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo in Gaithersburg. It was quite insightful and I learned a lot! Here are just a few tips I learned:
- If purchasing a condo and you have upstairs or downstairs neighbors, go and introduce yourself. They can tell you if anything major such as a fire or flood has happened in the unit.
- For condos, contact the HOA or condo association to understand any recent assessments or upcoming capital projects.
- Always ask where emergency shut offs are: plumbing, gas, etc.
- Rusty garbage disposal - Pour some vegetable oil into the disposal and let it sit. Better yet if you do this before a vacation and out of the house.
- WD40 is NOT for squeaky doors. They just end up making your carpet black and dirty! (my husband already told me this but he just reaffirmed it!)
- Good idea to purchase sprinkler covers to prevent accidental flooding.
Be sure to take notes and ask A LOT of questions. Just like in school, there are NO dumb questions!